Church of the Holy Trinity - Allen


Church Sacristan
Purr Maher, Tel: 045 860 854


It can be assumed that the land for the Church of the Holy Trinity in Allen was donated by Sir Gerald George Aylmer succeeded his father as 8th Baron of Donadea in 1816.

The church was designed by J. S. Butler in 1866. This was just a short time after the Great Famine in Ireland when the country was still recovering from that overwhelming natural disaster.

Renowned architect

When the Rev. Eugene O’Reilly decided to build a new church in Allen, he appointed John Sterling Butler as architect. Butler was one of the foremost ecclesiastical architects of his time and the catalogue of his works is most impressive – churches, convents, great houses etc. all over Ireland. He was elected Dublin City Architect on 1st October 1866.

The cut stone, Gothic Revival church in Allen was put out to tender in June 1866, with the closing date for acceptance of tenders as 12th October 1866. Construction work began in early 1867.

First Mass
The church is built of dressed limestone and has an octagonal spire atop a square tower. It was completed in 1869 at a cost of £4,000 and the first Mass was celebrated in the new church on Easter Sunday 1872.

The cross on the steeple was made locally by Michael Dempsey, blacksmith, the grandfather of Sheila Dooley, Skew Bridge, Allenwood South.

The bell was cast in James’s St Foundry, Dublin, and placed in the Belfry in 1891.

The church was renovated in the 1920s (during the pastorate of Rev. John Kane) with money bequeathed for this purpose by Rev Edward Lawlor. Some minor repair work was carried out on the roof of the church in the early 1960s.

Following a number of months of renovation in 2003, the Church of the Holy Trinity was rededicated on 23rd November 2003 – the Feast of Christ the King – and was presided over by the Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin, Dr James Moriarty, and Fr Edward Moore PP.